Travelling by Car
Getting to Carlingford & The Cooley Peninsula.
An equidistant hours drive from Belfast and Dublin
The major roads that service County Louth are the M1 – the main Dublin-Belfast route and the N2 – the main Dublin-Derry route
- Follow signs for M1 towards Belfast.
- Travel on M1 to the end (approx 50 miles) and take exit off at Junction 18- signposted (R152) N52 Dundalk North Carlingford
- Take 4th exit off at next roundabout signposted Carlingford R173 and travel to next roundabout and take 2nd exit off signposted Carlingford
- Follow signs to Carlingford – there is just one left turn to do just 2 miles before you get to Carlingford but it is well signposted.
- Head south out of Belfast on the M1 towards Dublin. Once on the motorway you are 1hr away.
- After about 10 miles, exit at junction 7, left signposted to Newry on the A1
- Head towards Newry, follow signs for the The Quays – a shopping centre with a multiplex cinema & Sainsburys.
- Turn left at the traffic lights taking you along the side of canal, canal is on your left, shopping centre is on your right and mountain straight ahead (where Carlingford is). You are now 12 minutes away.
- You will know when you enter Carlingford – King John’s Castle will be dominating the skyline to your left along with the harbour.
Public Transport Bus Eireann
Dundalk to Carlingford
Newry to Carlingford