HISTORY

Hear the stories of old, myths and legends and see the seats of kings

Kilfeaghan portal tomb

Kilfeaghan portal tomb stands on a farm overlooking Carlingford Lough, the chamber has an enormous capstone at least 2 1/2 metres long by about 1 1/2 metres thick and weighs an estimated 35 tons. [...]

King Johns Castle

King John’s Castle was built in the 12th century on a rocky outcrop overlooking Carlingford Lough. The Castle dominated the Lough, the harbour and the developing town. This was the first stone [...]

Proleek Dolmen

The magnificent Proleek Portal Tomb, situated in the grounds of Ballymascanlon Hotel on the legendary Cooley Peninsula, is one of the finest examples of its kind in Ireland. Portal tombs have two [...]

Dominican Priory

The Dominican Priory at Carlingford is believed to be founded by Richard de Burgo in c.1305. All that remains today is a nave and chancel church with a central tower and some domestic buildings [...]

The Mint

The mint is the smallest of the three fortified structures in Carlingford; the other two being King John’s Castle and Taaffes Castle. This 15th-16th century three-storey castle or tower [...]

Leprechaun Cavern

The underground leprechaun and fairy cavern has its origins in a story that happened in 1989 when a Leprechaun suit with 4 gold coins in the pocket was found on Foy mountain above Carlingford Co [...]